RE: Selector "on presence of"

From: Douglas Rand <drand@sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:55:10 -0400
To: <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>, "Ian Hickson" <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
Cc: <geier@psi5.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
> 1) lack of a parse tree : this is implementation problem and should
> not constrain the spec...

I agree with this one,  implementations should either have a document
structure or be able to simulate it.

> 2) performances : even my Pilot is able to browse the web and the very
> first Sega or Nintendo is more powerful than my pc !

Nope Daniel, performance is a major issue for all browsers,
and forcing me to do a full search to satisfy a selector is not reasonable
on both that basis,  as well as invalidating any ability to do progressive
rendering.  I find that my browser is very much cpu bound in laying out and
rendering a document.

> So : your proposal is interesting but you can be 100% sure that
> implementors will refuse it for implementation reasons.

Yup.

Doug