Re: List styles - a wish list item

From: Grzegorz Staniak <gstaniak@golem.umcs.lublin.pl>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:59:49 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello to all,

I noticed this "list-style wish-list" thread and I would like to ask for your
opinion about an idea brought forward by some people on a Polish
newsgroup, namely, a property that would enforce alphabetical order on
unordered lists. The idea is to make things easier for the author, who would
be able to just prepare a list, and then have it rendered in order by entering
a CSS rule into a stylesheet. Possibly, the order could be reversed, too.
Obvious difficulties with this approach include the need to store (or
retrieve from the system - are there such resources available in operating
systems?) tables/arrays specifying the alphabetical order for a large
number of languages; delays in document rendering, especially for long
lists etc. I'm not sure CSS is the best place for this kind of functionality,
since it's more a HTML tree transformation than application of style info.
Perhaps browsers could offer a "sort lists" switch somewhere in their
configuration.

What is your opinion? Is implementation of such a feature faesible, and if it
is, is it worth the effort? Myself I think a utility (external or built in an editing
environment) is a better idea, if only because of the unevitable delays in
the parsing and rendering of HTML documents, but I lack experience
necessary to assess the value of such an idea.

Thanks,

|  Grzegorz Staniak             |  Internet 2000 s.c.                 |
|  <webmaster@i2000.lublin.pl>  |  ul. Urocza 18, PL 20-825 Lublin    |
|                               |  tel./fax +48 (81) 740 22 47        |