Re: List styles - a wish list item

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Petteri Lyytinen wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
>
> > (or even 3.A ... 3.A.I)
> > Which is something I've always missed in missed in HTML and fail to
> > see how to do in CSS. I must admit I haven't seen CSS2, perhaps it's
> > in there?
>
> In CSS2, at least, yes. Go see:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html#q11
>
> That is the section 12.6 of CSS2 specs (Markers and lists)

But is rather limited, since you need separate rules for each level of
nesting, even where the same sort of numbering is used. I feel that it
would be useful (CSS3?) to be able to include the :before content of the
containing list element, or possibly use some sort of looping to access
parent counters sequentially.

I haven't looked at XSL in detail, but I imagine that the use of
ECMAScript should make this relatively simple.

Tim Bagot