Re: HTML/CSS inconsistency

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:36:54 +0100 (MET)
To: Tim Bagot <timothy.bagot@keble.oxford.ac.uk>
Tim Bagot writes:

 > Sorry to bring this up again, but I think it is quite important.
 [...]
 > a) Alter the CSS definition so that decimal lists start at 1.

You are quite right. Excuses for not responding earlier. I changed the
text for the upcoming draft immediately after your first message, but
I forgot to send you a reply.

 > b) Introduce a new property (perhaps list-start) which would take the
 > place of the HTML attribute, allowing the starting number to be specified
 > by the author. It should, of course, default to the value 1.

We haven't done so yet, since we are actually looking for more
flexible solutions, that can, for instance, create numbers like
"1.1.1", or that can continue a list number after a few intervening
paragraphs.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA
  +33 (0)4 93 65 76 92            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France
  +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92 (<--- after 5 Jan 1998)