Re: Media Types

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:41:06 -0800
To: chris wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>, steve knoblock<knoblock@worldnet.att.net>, www-style@w3.org
" > Todd Fahrner [SMTP:fahrner@pobox.com] asked:
" >Which of the "CSS" browsers support alternate media types? Which
" >will point to alternate content such as PDF when printing? Which support
" >unit systems other than points for printed output?
"
" MSIE 4.0 (Win32), on the first and last count.  Alternate print documents
" fell off the schedule, but we support "print", "screen" and "all" media
" types (MEDIA attribute on STYLE and LINK elements), and all units are
" supported on printed output.  Pixels are scaled, roughly accordingly with
" the CSS1 spec.

Some of my questions were rhetorical, but others genuine. I'm glad to that
IE4 supports alternate media, but I dispute the last bit: The em unit seems
not to be supported for printed output, at least not as a horizontal linear
measure (an indent for instance). The value used appears to be a pixel or
something else really small. This is unfortunate as arguably the most
"classical" indent value is the em unit, or alternately the line-height
value, most conveniently speced relative to the font size in use (em).