forwarded message from Humphries, William

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:04:46 +0100 (MET)
To: www-style@w3.org
The enclosed message got accidently caught in the spam-filter.

attached mail follows:

To follow-up on Eric's message and Todd's withheld rant about the IE 4.0
Mac release:

The attribute margin-left using percent or em units seems to be wonky as
well, the left margin appears about 40% of the way across the page.

 <HTML><HEAD><title>test</title></HEAD> <body style="margin-left: 20%;">

Try various percentages and it looks as if IE multiplies the margin-left
value by a factor of two when it displays the body.

Using px, margin-left works as advertised. Of course, following Todd's
exhortations, I would rather use relative values than absolutes.

On the other hand, a DHTML demo I wrote under IE 4.0 (Win95) behaved
correctly (as far as I understand) on IE 4.0 Mac. So I wont rant, but I
will grumble about having to do increasing convolutions to support style
sheets.

Bill Humphries <whumphri@epri.com>, Web Technologist
EPRI, Palo Alto, CA, (650) 855-7998