Re: U and ACCESSKEY (was Re: Question re Deprecation)

At 03:58 PM 28/02/98 -0500, Rob wrote:
>On 26 Feb 98, "Lisa Pease" <lisap@prosofttraining.com> wrote:
>
>> So to underline a letter to represent an accesskey in
>> a form, I'd have to type:
>>
>> <SPAN STYLE="text-decoration:underline">H</SPAN>obbies
>
>I think you're better off with
>
>  <SPAN CLASS="AccessKeyMark">H</SPAN>obbies

I think you're better off letting the browser handle it, as suggested in
the HTML 4.0 Recommendation:

"The rendering of access keys depends on the user agent. We recommend that
authors include the access key in label text or wherever the access key is
to apply. User agents should render the value of an access key in such a
way as to emphasize its role and to distinguish it from other characters
(e.g., by underlining it)." (Section 17.11.2)

>It would be useful to specify a style for the appearence of the first
>character (or instead where a special mark appears) that matches the
>access key, with the default style  being what the operating system that
>the browser is running on uses.

What we need is an accesskey pseudo-element in CSS, e.g.,

:accesskey { text-decoration: underline }

or

:accesskey {
  font-weight: bolder;
  text-decoration: none;