Correct way to define "leading" - compatibility problems

From: Clive Bruton <clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 98 20:40:38 +0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
I'm a little confused (makes a change!), about leading, or what I suppose
we should now call linefeed.

I seem to have two (at least) solutions for defining leading:

     { line-height: 1.5em }

or

     { font: 1em/1.5em }

Is one or other of these obsolete or never reached a recommendation
stage? Both seem to give widely varying displays in browsers, from
correct (or at least what I think should happen), to ignoring the
setting, to collapsing all the lines between <p></p> tags onto one line!?

Just a couple of other points, "width" for text elements seems to be
ignored by IE, as does "em" (when applied to text size) which it seems to
regard as being 12pt, rather than a multiple of the default text size (as
Navigator does).

Is there a minimal set of features that are currently supported
cross-browser and cross-platform, that don't completely screw display on
earlier versions of CSS savvy browsers (I'm thinking principally here of
IE 3.x compared to 4.x implementation)?

Thanks

-- Clive