Re: W3C Core Styles

Todd Fahrner wrote:

> If you, like me, have been confused by Microsoft's talk of "HTML/CSS flow
> objects" as the output of their XSL interpreter, realize that these would
> be nonsensical if they'd just support the CSS1 display types. As it is now,
> their main need to invoke HTML as a display format is to patch the gaps in
> their CSS implementation. Otherwise they could style a lot of XML directly
> with CSS, with XSL serving as just the transformation language.

Unless my memory is very foggy, there is no way to indicate in CSS1 that
a particular element is meant to be a hyperlink, a table, a form input
or other kinds of complex display type. People in XML-land aren't
content to go without tables, forms and hyperlinks. So Microsoft's
"HTML/CSS flow objects" are not at all nonsensical. Eventually CSS may
be powerful enough to express these things itself or XSL may have its
own, well-defined, non-HTML set of flow objects based on a combination
of DSSSL and CSS.

The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights will be 50 years old on
December 10, 1998. These are your fundamental rights:
http://www.udhr.org/history/default.htm