RE: Transition (was Re: Capitalize across "span")

At 10:52 AM 2/11/98 +1000,"Smith, Brooke"
<Brooke.Smith@Butterworths.com.au> wrote:
[-snip-]
>	What I was asking was, "Can you tell what browser you are
>delivering data to so that when you dynamically generate documents you
>can output CSS1, CSS2, Tables with Font and BR and other kludges,
>depending on what they support."  Maybe through the http header?

	Yes you can.  It's in the "User-Agent" http header.  The tricky part is
knowing exactly which user agents (browsers) support which features.  It
can be done, it's just tricky.
	There are actually some other things you can do with using transparent
content negotiation, messing around with "Accepts" headers and the like.
The www-style list probably isn't the appropriate forum to discuss this
though. But it is good for people interested in style sheets issues to know
that it is possible.

-John

>	Sorry if you don't think this is relevant to the styles
>discussion but I think in the light of my re-phrasing.
>
>	Regards,
>
>	Brooke
>http://www.butterworths.com.au/profile/people/brooke/bw.htm
>+61 412 024 742                                       +61 2 9422 2223
>            Butterworths Electronic Publishing Developer
>

>	> George Olsen
>	> Web Architect/Designer
>	> mailto:golsen@2lm.com
>	> 2-Lane Media
>	> http://www.2lm.com
>	> vox 310/473-3706 x2225
>fax 310/473-6736

Standard Disclamer -- The opinions expessed here are my own. They do not
represent official advice or opinions of Cornell Cooperative Extension
or Cornell University.

John Udall,
      Programmer/Systems Administrator            40 Warren Hall
Extension Electronic Technologies Group           Cornell University
Cornell Cooperative Extension                     Ithaca, NY 14853
email: jsu1@cornell.edu                           Phone: (607) 255-8127