Browsers compatibility !

From: dominique susini <susini.design@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:30:27 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Hi !

As a web designer I tried several time to design web pages with CSS1 and now
CSS2.
If these pages look great ( I don't speak about aesthetics ) on MIE ( >4.* )
they are always lost with Netscape ( even 4.5 ) :-((

It is a pity : You do a *great* job trying to make our life easyer but we
have to come back to the 'old fashion' way if we want our pages to be
readable with the major browsers .
The other solution we have is to build several web sites with the same
content:
One for MIE with JavaScript
One for MIE without JavaScript
One for Opera
One for Netscape .... and so on !

Your usefull and rather simple cascading style sheets will be - for sure -
be used by most of the web designers the day the browsers developpers will
 as we hope ) realize they *have to * make their browsers in accordance with
your specifications .

Can you do something to push them the right way ? ( I heard they work with
you on the standards )

Daniel Glazman wrote a superb book ( in French ) about CSS2 . In this book
there is a set of tests to check the browsers compatibility with the
Cascading style sheets.
Netscape 4.04 is rated 236 on 622
MIE 4 is rated 378 on 622
MIE 5p1 is rated 393 on 622
I tested MIE 4.2 and got 382 and Netscape 4.5 > 295 ( half of the commands
are lost )

Regards
Dominique Susini
Susini.design@skynet.be