Browsers compatibility !

From: dominique susini <susini.design@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:30:27 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Hi !

As a web designer I tried several time to design web pages with CSS1 and now
If these pages look great ( I don't speak about aesthetics ) on MIE ( >4.* )
they are always lost with Netscape ( even 4.5 ) :-((

It is a pity : You do a *great* job trying to make our life easyer but we
have to come back to the 'old fashion' way if we want our pages to be
readable with the major browsers .
The other solution we have is to build several web sites with the same
One for MIE with JavaScript
One for MIE without JavaScript
One for Opera
One for Netscape .... and so on !

Your usefull and rather simple cascading style sheets will be - for sure -
be used by most of the web designers the day the browsers developpers will
 as we hope ) realize they *have to * make their browsers in accordance with
your specifications .

Can you do something to push them the right way ? ( I heard they work with
you on the standards )

Daniel Glazman wrote a superb book ( in French ) about CSS2 . In this book
there is a set of tests to check the browsers compatibility with the
Cascading style sheets.
Netscape 4.04 is rated 236 on 622
MIE 4 is rated 378 on 622
MIE 5p1 is rated 393 on 622
I tested MIE 4.2 and got 382 and Netscape 4.5 > 295 ( half of the commands
are lost )

Dominique Susini