Re: CSS2 table collapsing borders -- some implementation questions

From: Steve Clark <buster@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:54:10 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
CC: www-style@w3.org
I should have been more explicit.  This was my first answer (which I
reject right after bringing it up) when I said:

Cell 2 clearly can't have a border that is both 3px and 4px wide.  That
would give the content of cell 2 a
non-rectangular area to lay out into which the spec does not support.
Playing games with cell 2's dimesions to
make this rational seems wrong.

I just don't see any support anywhere in the spec for non-rectangular
regions for margin, border, or padding, nor do I see the CSS spec going
that direction.  I say this as someone who is only familiar with the
spec, and not in any way a CSS expert.

Steve