Re: CSS2 table collapsing borders -- some implementation questions

>From www-style-request@w3.org  Fri Dec 11 00:25:30 1998
>From: buster@netscape.com (Steve Clark)
>Subject: CSS2 table collapsing borders -- some implementation questions

>I am implementing CSS2 table collapsing borders for Netscape's new
>"Gecko" browser.  I have some questions about border resolution, and
>particularly about how row and column spanning cells effect border
>resolution for adjacent cells.  If this topic has already been
>discussed, I would appreciate a pointer to the result.  Otherwise, I
>would like to start a dialog with any knowledgable folks familiar with
>this part of the spec.

I don't think this has been discussed before.  To try to answer what I
know about your questions, I don't see any problem with applying the
rules for border conflict resolution to row and column spanning cells
the same way they are applied to any other cells.  The conflict should
be resolved according to the rules in the spec for all borders that
could be drawn on the segment in question.  Is there something I am
missing?

The example in
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#table-layers
is the only example in the spec involving rowspan or colspan.  This may
help.

David Baron

L. David Baron         | Freshman, Harvard
dbaron@fas.harvard.edu | < http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >