Re: Language (in)dependent hyphenation properties

From: Clive Bruton <clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 07:09:34 -0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
James Aylett wrote at 03/12/98 07:23

>Really? Can you see hyphenation appearing in microkernel operating systems
>such as might be used to build hand-held devices? It's not an operating
>system feature at all - but (and I hope that this is what you meant) it
>should be a shared resource.

Brief reply, as I'm away from "home".

I think hyphenation (in a browser) should  be a "drop-in" module, which
should allow for a user "dictionary" much like spell-checkers do.

I think it's a little difficult to decide what are and what are not core
OS functions these days (ie Apple thinks text processing (ATSUI) is,
Microsoft thinks a web browser is), certainly hyphenation should be a
shared resource. I'll make the effort to find out if ATSUI deals with
this at all.

-- Clive