CSS positioning

From: Sandeep Hundal <Sandeep.Hundal@digital.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:54:20 +0100
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi people !

I'm trying to get something to work purely with CSS but it doesn't render in
mybrowser (NN4.5) on Win 95...

I've got a page where I want the layout to be such...

--------------------------------------	|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|                              		|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|link   text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|__________________________	|

right now I have to use tables to have them side by side.... if I try not to
use tables, it comes up like this :

--------------------------------------	|
|link  				|
|link   				|
|link  				|
|        text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|        text,text,text,text,text,text	|
|        text,text,text,text,text,text	|

can anyone help me on how I can avoid using tables ??

TIA
Sandeep