Re: Style sheet and Netscape

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 07:09:58 -0700
To: "Daniel Glazman" <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>, "eva" <eva@algonet.se>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
>Just to point out a common mistake which comes from the spec
>itself : no, a CSS rule is not "selector + declaration". It is
>"selector + block of declaration(s)" or "group of selectors +
>block of declaration(s)"
>There is a confusion in the spec between a selector and a group
>of selectors, see for instance first paragraph of section 4.1.7.
>If you read this paragraph and section 5, a selector is made of
>selectors...
>
>There is also common confusion between a selector and a simple selector,
>and between a selector and a sequence of simple selectors not separated
>by combinators.

As a rule,

  FACE.deprecated { color: #FF0000 }

but glad to be corrected. Thanks.

Semantically edified and with apologies to Sue Jordan, I rephrase the point
I was trying to make...

>Oh. So <FONT> _will_ be translated to the corresponding CSS
>rules with specificity equal to 1?

More accurately, FONT's *attributes* are translated into CSS declarations
for the FONT element. In this case, the translation is from "COLOR=gray" to
"color: gray". The resulting rule is

  FONT { color: gray }

In accordance with section 6.4.3 of the CSS2 REC, the specificity of the
simple FONT selector is equal to 1.

David Perrell