Re: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 07:43:20 -0700
To: "'HTML'" <www-html@w3.org>, "'Style'" <www-style@w3.org>

Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

>I don't see how it's useless as a client-side include mechanism.  The key
>here is *what* you want to include: text or markup.

OBJECT is a container, is it not? If you insert text/plain with OBJECT it
will be rendered within the container independent of the parent document,
not inline with surrounding content. I err in assuming uselessness, but if
the text is not parsed as normal content its usefulness is diminished.

If the text is embedded as true text/plain, then it is by definition
independent of the HTML markup. It is up to the UA as to how it should be
presented.

David Perrell