Re: text-shadow's limited utility (& an alternative)

From: Bert Bos <bbos@charlotte.inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:55:57 +0200
To: "Garth Wallace" <gwalla@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Garth Wallace writes:

 >  2) It is very limited. It can only be used for text shadow effects, and
 > of these it can only do drop shadows. Cast shadows are still impossible
 > without resorting to images.
 >
 > My proposed solution is a font-effect property, used to apply any
 > graphical "special effect" to text. The format of the font-effect
 > property would be:
 >
 >   font-effect: effect depth angle size color blur transparency
 >
 > The effect option would determine the type of effect applied. The values
 > would be mutually exclusive and would include:
 >   none   - regular text
 >   drop   - a drop shadow
 >   cast   - a shadow cast in the perceived x-z plane
 >   inset  - a bevelled effect similar to the eponymous border-style
 >            value
 >   outset - a bevelled effect, the inverse of inset
 >   inherit - default, already defined in CSS(2)

Inset can be simulated with two shadows: a dark one to the top left,
and a light one to the bottom right. Outset is similar, but reverses
the shadows:

    EM.inset {text-shadow: white -1px -1px, black 1px 1px}

It's not perfect in high resolutions, but usually good enough.

Your cast shadow is indeed impossible with the current 'text-shadow'
property, but luckily the effect appears to be quite rare in practice.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA
  +33 4 93 65 76 92               06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France
  +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92 (<--- after 5 Jan 1998)