align=center

From: Frank Boumphrey <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:34:57 -0700
There seems to be no way in CSS to align an object in the center of the
page, such as the align=center attribute in HTML.

 Position properties aligns the left edge of an image, text-align will align
a table in IE4 but not an image (I don't think though that this is what the
specification intended, I think text align is only ment to refer to text).

Am I missing something? Is this an oversight? or is this intended?

Frank