Re: Why XML can't be displayed directly

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:32:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
> Check out the rendering. It's broken in the few CSS browsers I've
> tested. The brown boundary should completely contain the black (as
> the pot contains the dirt), and the black should completely contain
> the dark green "stems".

If you change the DIV rule to the following, does your page look right
in Netscape 4? I think so. (MSIE3 certainly not, and MSIE4 not quite.)

DIV {padding:1em; border:none} /* add border:none
                                  "0" is a better workaround for IMG,
                                  but "none" may fix flat color */

"XML can't be displayed directly" in MSIE3 only, so far as I know. The
other Mac HTML clients I tested do all right not knowing a file of
type text/html html is XML -- if one can overlook processing
instructions, and the XML language declaration. Maybe the Great Divide
starts when more servers are configured for the media-type text/xml xml.

Susan Lesch