Re: Comments for CSS1 Test Suite

Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> >We can dream. Make the whole suite HTML 4.0 strict with DOCTYPEs. :-)
>
>    There's a bit of debate over this one, actually.  I have at least one
> request to purposely leave out </P> tags in order to force tests of HTML
> parsing.  I'm still turning that one over in my head-- is this appropriate
> for a CSS test?  I can see reasons for and against, and haven't yet made up
> my mind.

Sure it is appropriate, if it is well explained what you are doig. And,
remember that HTML is an application of SGML, not of XML. So, omitted
end tags are legal where the DTD says so (this includes </p>) as indeed
some start tags are omisible.

Which, of course, makes parsing awkward. Which is why XML is better than
SGML.

So, you can be valid HTML 4.0 and still omit the end para tags. Of
course, some browsers erroneously give different rendering with and
without the closing </P>.

--
Chris