Re: Some Views on CSS

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org
>I believe your message actually brings up two different problems.  The first
>as you mentioned is the fact that CSS doesn't support a way to change all the
>elements at once.

No, the problem is that CSS doesn't support a way to change all the possible
selectors at once.  I could define rules for all elements, but that isn't
enough to avoid conflicts.

I could be wrong if the univiersal selector overrides all styles in the
lower cascade, but IIRC correctly it doesn't, and probably shouldn't for the
same reason I'd expect ``EM'' not to override ``P EM''.

Then again maybe having less specific selectors override more specific
selectors in a style sheet lower in the cascade isn't such a bad idea.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"