Re: Comments for CSS1 Test Suite

From: todd <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:56:29 -0700
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca, www-style@w3.org
Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote (11:02 PM -0400 4/7/98):
" >    There's a bit of debate over this one, actually.  I have at least
" > one request to purposely leave out </P> tags in order to force tests
" > of HTML parsing.  I'm still turning that one over in my head-- is
" > this appropriate for a CSS test?  I can see reasons for and against,
" > and haven't yet made up my mind.
" Since CSS is basically the first thing that actually requires the browser
" to parse HTML into some sort of element tree, I think the test suite
" should ensure that browers are implying end-tags and implying them at the
" correct spots.
" For instance in
" <P>Paragraph 1.
" <P>Paragraph 2.
" There is one character of whitespace after the period in the first
" paragraph.  If the style of paragraphs is underlined, this last space
" should be underlined too.

Yes. The case I was thinking about (I suggested to Eric) was where, say, a
UL follows an unterminated P. Properties set on P should not be inherited
by UL; the UA needs to pay at least some superficial attention to the DTD
to know this.

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923