Re: Comments for CSS1 Test Suite

From: todd <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:56:29 -0700
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca, www-style@w3.org
Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote (11:02 PM -0400 4/7/98):
" >    There's a bit of debate over this one, actually.  I have at least
" > one request to purposely leave out </P> tags in order to force tests
" > of HTML parsing.  I'm still turning that one over in my head-- is
" > this appropriate for a CSS test?  I can see reasons for and against,
" > and haven't yet made up my mind.
"
" Since CSS is basically the first thing that actually requires the browser
" to parse HTML into some sort of element tree, I think the test suite
" should ensure that browers are implying end-tags and implying them at the
" correct spots.
"
" For instance in
" <P>Paragraph 1.
"
" <P>Paragraph 2.
"
" There is one character of whitespace after the period in the first
" paragraph.  If the style of paragraphs is underlined, this last space
" should be underlined too.

Yes. The case I was thinking about (I suggested to Eric) was where, say, a
UL follows an unterminated P. Properties set on P should not be inherited
by UL; the UA needs to pay at least some superficial attention to the DTD
to know this.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923