Re: Preview: CSS1 Test Suite

From: Eric A. Meyer <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:36:46 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>I think that throughout the test pages, the colours used should be much more
>obvious.

   Agreed, although your value of 'obvious' may vary.

>I'm thinking in particular about
>http://www.cwru.edu/dms/homes/eam3/css-test/sec13.htm
>where the dark green is almost indistinguishable from the black on my
>platform (Win95, IE4).
>
>Maybe some much brighter and obviously different colours, such as yellow,
>fuchsia, lime and red would be more appropriate.

   Well, if ya had an OS with REAL color management... oops, was that out loud?
   Just kidding.  The real reason I went with shades of green is that I was
trying, wherever possible, to show conformance in green, and
non-conformance in red.  (Where this wasn't possible, I went with purple
and blue.)  I also wanted to alternate shades of green so that there wasn't
a question about a given style carrying over from one element to another
and thereby obscuring a problem.  I tried lime, but it looked really
horrible against the background (either light gray or white) and was
near-impossible to read.  So I went to dark green.  Perhaps I should
lighten it a bit; I'll look into it, but my concern is that it will blend
too closely with the other green I'm using.
   The other point, which Hakon raised, is that non-(American-)English
speakers might not know what lime, fuschia, maroon, and so on, actually
mean-- heck, *I* don't even know what they all mean-- whereas they might
more readily identify the primary colors such as green and red.

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Hypermedia Systems Manager