Re: Preview: CSS1 Test Suite

From: Eric A. Meyer <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:36:47 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>Is inclusion of screen shots of *correct* rendering possible? When an
>inexperienced viewer sees the tests with a buggy browser, the results
>might prove more confusing than helpful. I'd really rather see screen
>shots than the tabular replication.

   The tabular replication made it in because it's a no-cost addition, just
like making interface changes.  We discussed creating screenshots, but the
danger here is that my particular browser/font setting/window width/screen
resolution might yield screenshots which are, in some way, misleading.
Plus, generating about a hundred screenshots, many of which would have to
be faked in Photoshop because of current rendering limitations, was judged
to be way too resource-intensive at this point.
   We will be considering this issue carefully, though, because some of
CSS2 will require reference images (as Tim called them), especially the
positioning section.

Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Hypermedia Systems Manager
 Digital Media Services                http://www.cwru.edu/dms/dms.html