Any way to make a non-blocktype element block-type

From: marduk <marduk@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 18:51:14 -0500 (CDT)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
I have an example where I want to make an element which is not defined as
a block-type element have block-type properties.  Really hard to explain
in words, but look at the page

http://manson.ddns.netspire.com.sg/

This is the way I want my page to look.  However, currently I am using
tables to do this.  I would like to instead use a document <DL> list and
have the light blue boxes be a <DT> and the text below a <DD>.

However, if I say

DT { background url(light-blue.gif) }

or whatever in my style sheet, the background only surrounds the text, not
the entire "block".  I presume it's because <DT> is not a block-type
element.  Is there another way to do this?

TIA,
-=-marduk-=-

marduk                                  http://home1.gte.net/marduk/index.html