Re: With CSS how does one ALIGN block-level elements?

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:22:44 -0600
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
CC: <www-style@w3.org>
> a shame that the "most correct" way to align blocks using CSS1 is
> not supported by either of the major browsers..

I suppose I could just use a quasi-final HTML 4.0 draft that still
has the ALIGN attribute, but I really don't want to do that.

> I think that if there had been consensus on a logical way to define
> tables with CSS1 properties this discussion would not be taking
> place. Would you share your insight?

I posted the following to www-html a little while back, It is just
copied and pasted.  Note that none of these actually solve the
centering of the entire table though, they only refer to other
attributes that HTML 4.0 still has:

Since it was one of the goals of HTML 4.0 to remove all the
visual stuff from the DTD should not the following items also be
removed (there are CSS items that can be used for them):

%cellhalign
align => CSS:align

%cellvalign
valign => CSS:valign

<TABLE>
width => CSS:width
border => CSS:border
frame => CSS:border in <TR> and <TD> ?
rules => CSS:border in <THEAD> <TBODY> <TFOOT>?
cellspacing => CSS:margin in <TD>
cellpadding => CSS:padding in <TD>

<CAPTION>
align => CSS:align