Absolute positions: a quick question

From: Bjorn E. Backlund <bjorn@cooper.xanthus.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:36:18 +0100
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
A quick question.

The top/left of an object seems to mean (i.e. IE 4.0 behaviour) the position of the outer box of an element = both padding, border and margin is added to the size of the object. Sounds fair, we had of course implemented top/left as the corner of the inner box - but we've changed that now...

Question:
I.E 4 seems to position child elements with absolute positions just within the border of the mother, i.e. the origin of the box positioning context for absolute positioned elements is the top/left of the mother element plus its margin and border - but not the padding? Why? Is this the correct behaviour?

	margin	border	padding
	|	|	|	|
	|	|	|	|
	|	|	|	|
	|	|	|	|

			^
			This is x= 0 for child elements in I.E 4

				^
				Why not place it here?

Best,
Bjorn Backlund