Re: How to get around the lack of a LAYER tag?

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 01:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: ed_scott@corp.disney.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Once upon a time ed_scott@corp.disney.com shaped the electrons to say...
>     I read that the Netscape LAYER tag was turned down by W3C for
>     inclusion in HTML v4.  This seems unfortunate as it was a very

Thankfully yes.  The last thing we need is another needless hack element to
go along with BLINK, SPACER, et al.

>     If I am wrong and there are ways to dynamically manage layered images
>     in the HTML v4 draft please tell me what I am not seeing.  Thanks,

Presentation does not belong in HTML.  It belongs in styles - and I note
you sent this to www-style so you must realize that.

CSS Positioning allows for the layering, positioning, and dynamic content
of LAYER.  And it does so in a standard manner.  As a bonus NS 4.0 and
MSIE 4.0 both support it.  With more browsers and authoring tools coming.
NS is the lone supporter of LAYER and is likely to remain as such.

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588