Re: How to get around the lack of a LAYER tag?

From: Eric A. Meyer <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:40:19 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: ed_scott@corp.disney.com
>     I read that the Netscape LAYER tag was turned down by W3C for
>     inclusion in HTML v4.  This seems unfortunate as it was a very
>     powerful tool for information presentation.  From what I can see there
>     is no other way to do the sorts of thing I want in HTML and I will be
>     forced to consider a slower to load approach that requires a plugin.
>     If I am wrong and there are ways to dynamically manage layered images
>     in the HTML v4 draft please tell me what I am not seeing.

   The W3C-Style list probably isn't the best place to discuss this, but
since you ask, between CSS-P and DHTML, the LAYER tag shouldn't have been
necessary.  Then again, I suppose expecting Netscape to implement a
standard, or a combination of them, instead of charging ahead with a
proprietary solution, would be a little too much to ask.

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Hypermedia Systems Manager