How to get around the lack of a LAYER tag?

From: <ed_scott@corp.disney.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 97 12:47:40 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>

     W3C:

     I read that the Netscape LAYER tag was turned down by W3C for
     inclusion in HTML v4.  This seems unfortunate as it was a very
     powerful tool for information presentation.  From what I can see there
     is no other way to do the sorts of thing I want in HTML and I will be
     forced to consider a slower to load approach that requires a plugin.
     If I am wrong and there are ways to dynamically manage layered images
     in the HTML v4 draft please tell me what I am not seeing.  Thanks,

     Ed Scott