Re: CSS1 and tables

From: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:51:05 +0200 (MET)
To: "'Liam Quinn'" <liam@htmlhelp.com>, "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Oct 7,  2:21pm, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:

> I do not believe this is the correct model for tables - unfortunately, I
> wasn't there when Netscape designed this "original web design" and
> promoted the use of tables.

To clarify, Netscape did not invent tables. Tables in HTML were pioneered
by Dave Raggett and demonstrated as a proof of concept in the Arena browser
which was the first HTML browser to implement tables (also the first to
implement CSS as it happens).

I just wanted to make sure newer readers didn't
read more into "original web design" than they should.

> More generally, the design of HTML tables
> implementations did not grow out of a consortium of interested parties,
> and so there are some serious quirks.  (Incidentally, to give proper
> credit - NCSA shipped the first implementation of tables in HTML in
> Windows Mosaic.)

Really? Before Arena?