Re: CSS1 and tables

From: Terry Crowley <tcrowley@oz.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 22:51:49 -0700
To: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, "'David Perrell'" <davidp@earthlink.net>, www-style@w3.org
>  OK, so these browsers do error correction on a document which has
>  a block  level element inside a phrase level element, and internally
>  generate
>
>  <B>This is bold.</b>
>  <TABLE><TR><TD>
>  This is not bold.
>  </TD></TR>
>  </TABLE>
>  <b>This is bold again.</B>
>
>  Fine. But, since TABLE is not a child of B, naturally the table is
>  not in bold.

Chris (Lilley),

I believe you give the internal implementation of the early browsers too much
credit.  More likely its because tables have always been implemented by ripping
the table out of the tree and implementing the layout within the table as a
black box.  IE4 may be the first version that actually implements the table
within the tree, and even that happened very late in the game.  So very little
of this behavior is "by design".  Notice for example how the color attribute on
the <FONT> tag in NS3 leaks into the table, but neither size nor face do.  If
that's by design, it's not a pretty one.  What we're living with is the legacy
of bad code.

Terry Crowley