Topmost element (was: Header, Footer, and Sidebars)

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:58:42 -0800
To: "Hakon Lie" <howcome@w3.org>, "Todd Fahrner" <fahrner@pobox.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Tod Fahrner wrote:
>I had been thinking that UA default stylesheets should ship by default with
>font-size on BODY weighted !important, and in a non-relative unit.

If you were to change "BODY" to "HTML" I would agree with you. There should
be a top-most element for which relative values do not apply. I suggest that
HTML refer to the canvas/UA window. In addition to holding the "default
stylesheet" base font size, it would also be assumed to have a height and
width equal to the UA window dimensions, with an overflow property value of
'auto'. It would be an absolutely-positioned element, and therefore have no
margins.

David Perrell