Re: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:21:01 -0700
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>, "Hakon Lie" <howcome@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
David Perrell wrote, at 11:34 -0800 on 30.11.97:

> Hakon Lie wrote:
>
> >... To strengthen the base font size, it should also be
> >used as the initial value of the 'font-size' property and the spec
> >should state that relative values on the root element are relative to
> >the initial value.
>
> I see what you mean...
>
>   HTML { font-size: 1.1em }    /* relative to what? */
>
> How about a hypothetical BASE element one level higher than HTML,
> inaccessible to authors and accessible to users only through the UA's UI?
>UA
> defaults could still be expressed in terms of a default stylesheet.

I had been thinking that UA default stylesheets should ship by default with
font-size on BODY weighted !important, and in a non-relative unit. Any UI
(toolbar) element would just change this value. I don't see why there need
to be any hypothetical or author-inaccessible elements. If users eliminated
this line from their stylesheets, the UA would just write it back in. :^)

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com