Re: 'fixed' positioning [WAS: Header, Footer, and Sidebars]

Andrew n marshall wrote:

>Secondly, 'fixed doesn't solve the problem.  For example, take my sidebar
>DIV.  If I wanted the width to just barely fit the content, I could do this
>by controlling overflow.  The problem this causes is the width and left
>edge of the main DIV are determined until render time.

It is possible to auto-adjust the sidebar to accommodate the text. Using
your own example as a starting point, you need only to put your sidebar text
in a float:left table and use 'relative' position on the right DIV. The
table width varies with text width, moving the relative anchor point
accordingly.

David Perrell