WD-positioning-19970819

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 00:00:33 +0100 (MET)
To: Ralph Risch <Ralph_Risch@astrobyte.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Ralph Risch writes:

 > I observe that CSS positioning of HTML elements could be used in the place
 > of frames if an element could be "named" and an HREF from another element
 > could reference that name. This would allow the arbitrary positioning of
 > "frame" boxes that reference other boxes (e.g., a table of contents).

Are you trying to implement frames functionality through CSS? If so, you
may be interested in the proposed "position: fixed" feature in the
CSS2 Working Draft [1]. E.g. to split the window in two parts (with a
banner at the top) you could use:

  <STYLE>
    #banner {
      position: fixed;
      top: 0;
      height: 200px;
    }

    #therest {
      position: fixed;
      top: 200px;
      height: auto;
    }
  </STYLE>

  <DIV ID=banner><P>Here's the banner</DIV>
  <DIV ID=therest><P>Here's the rest</DIV>

Unlike frames, all information is kept in one file. An OBJECT element
within the DIV should in principle allow you to "import" another
document like frames currently do.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/flowobj.html#h-10.5.2

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium