RE: DOM, markup, and "dynamic html"

The markup is based on a few limitations that will be addressed in our
next preview. While I did not author the content, I did author the code
behind the URL mentioned below.

1) The hard-coded anchors are a temporary measure to ensure the user
does not see an I-beam over the headers. This would create a usability
problem so the anchors are there just to display a "hand" to illustrate
the click region. In preview 2, a custom cursor can be associated with
any element eliminating the need for the extra markup.

For example:
<H1><A HREF="#"">Used to display a hand since this is an anchor, even
though the anchor is not really navigating anywhere</A></H1>

replace it with:: (this could have been done with a global style sheet)

<H1 style="cursor: hand">Displays a hand over the header without the
need for the extra anchor</H1>

2) In preview 2, the src attribute on script will be supported to
reference external scripts. Scripts are not supported in CSS.

3) The DIV is wrapping the child content for simplicity reasons qand was
purely an implementation decision on my part. Examining the code, you
will notice that this example took a total of 6 lines of code for all
the expanding and collapsing in the document. The code is generalized
enough for any document that is properly authored to take advantage of
expanding and collapsing.  While I didn't do it, it is also possible to
even generalize the code even further to require none of the extra
markup and be completely generalized.  I was too overworked to take this
on at the time I authored the code :-) However, I have written code that
can make any bulleted lists expand and collapse without any additional
markup beyond pasting a script or reference to the script in the
document. The code works by tracking all clicks in the document,
checking the scope of the click (is it in a bulleted list), and if so
then hides or shows any child lists if they exist.

Scott Isaacs
Program Manager
Internet Explorer 4.0 Team