RE: DSSSL and WYSIWYG Editing

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 02:32:53 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Adam Bosworth <adamb@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'Terje@in-Progress.com'" <Terje@in-Progress.com>, Terry Crowley <tcrowley@oz.net>, dssslist@mulberrytech.com, Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, www-style@w3.org
Adam Bosworth writes:

 > 90% of Word users don't use styles because it requires
 > a top down systemic model for authoring that doesn't come naturally to
 > them.  That doesn't mean that Styles are a bad idea, just that it is
 > hard to show that Styles improve an authoring UI's usability.

Further evidence can be found in [1] which concludes that

 "Our interpretation of the problems encountered also indicates that they
  may be related to the paper metaphor communicated by the principle of
  WYSIWYG. We claim that the paper metaphor does not communicate any
  understanding of the structure beneath the surface of a digital
  document."

[1] http://internet.adb.gu.se/publications/6/pap.html

-h&kon