Re: content property

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 17:24:36 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Paul,

Your input on numbering in CSS is very interesting, we're studying the
various proposals. I have a few questions regarding the DSSSL examples
you posted:

 > (element P
 >     (if (modulo (child-number) 5)
 > 	 (make sequence
 > 	     (literal (number->string (child-number)))
 > 	     (process-children))
 > 	 (process-children)))
 >
 > Which outputs a line number for every fifth line.

Being able to do stuff with lines as they are formatted is often
requested (that's why we have the 'first-line' pseudo-element in CSS)
so I support your goal. However, I'm unable to see how the above
example achieves it. Doesn't '(child-number)' return the element's
logical position, not the line number? Also, will the modulo function
ever return #f?

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome