Re: Pixels 'n points (CSS1 browser test)

From: EMeyer <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:51:06 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>> David, IE3 and IE4 both work [on table elements]; Netscape Navigator 4.0
>does not.

   Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what this means?

   * Following their original web design, tables do not inherit styles
     from the surrounding text or style sheet.
        (quoted from the Navigator 4.0 release notes)

>Oh, nooooo. NS, shame on you! You can do better than that...can't you?

   Well, I-- oh, never mind.

>And MS... you ARE going to get those float margins right, right?

   We can hope.  There are a lot of things I'd like to see implemented in
both browsers-- different things for each browser, of course-- but I think
*correct* support for float on all elements would be a huge step.
Navigator at least supports float, but breaks when you start associating
other properties to the floated element.  Here's a fun example: <P
style="float: right; margin-left: 25px;">.  Go on, try it.  If you don't
want to do the typing, here's an example:
   By the way, is it generally considered good form to send an
'introduction' message to the list when joining, or are such things
optional, or even discouraged?  Just curious...

Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Hypermedia Systems Manager
 Digital Media Services                http://www.cwru.edu/dms/dms.html
 Case Western Reserve University       http://www.cwru.edu/