Re: Pixels 'n points (CSS1 browser test)

From: EMeyer <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:51:06 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>> David, IE3 and IE4 both work [on table elements]; Netscape Navigator 4.0
>does not.

   Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what this means?

   * Following their original web design, tables do not inherit styles
     from the surrounding text or style sheet.
        (quoted from the Navigator 4.0 release notes)

>Oh, nooooo. NS, shame on you! You can do better than that...can't you?

   Well, I-- oh, never mind.

>And MS... you ARE going to get those float margins right, right?

   We can hope.  There are a lot of things I'd like to see implemented in
both browsers-- different things for each browser, of course-- but I think
*correct* support for float on all elements would be a huge step.
Navigator at least supports float, but breaks when you start associating
other properties to the floated element.  Here's a fun example: <P
style="float: right; margin-left: 25px;">.  Go on, try it.  If you don't
want to do the typing, here's an example:
http://www.cwru.edu/lit/homes/eam3/css1/t-excl/TCh3.html.
   By the way, is it generally considered good form to send an
'introduction' message to the list when joining, or are such things
optional, or even discouraged?  Just curious...

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3@po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Hypermedia Systems Manager