Re: CSS enhancement proposal

On Jun 14,  9:24pm, Todd Fahrner wrote:

> That was a reference to the disaster of specifying point units on
> type without some sort of platform-transformation like this:
>
> <SCRIPT>
> <!--
> 	if (navigator.appVersion.lastIndexOf('Mac') == -1)
> 	{
> 	document.writeln("<STYLE> BODY { font-size: 0.75em }</STYLE>")
> 	};
> //-->
> </SCRIPT>

Hmm. The highest density display I can recall seeing was at Seybold, where
there was a 17" monitor displaying 1600x1280. That was a Mac. I run
1440x1080 on a 21" display - also on a mac - and 1280x1024 on a 21"
display (that's an SGI).

Anyone who still pretends that a point is a pixel is in for a shock;
you can get monitors from other vendors than Apple nowadays, and the
Fat Mac 512k version has also been superceeded ;-)

> Scenario 1: you're a "web designer." Before this you were a print
> designer.

The quotes are well advised.

Scenario z: you're a "video designer." Before this you were a print
designer. You work on Macs like every other designer you know. You
know how 12-point Fruvonius reads on screen and in print, because
points are pixels. You specify 12-point Fruvonius in your documentary
and the television company laugh in your face and hire a real video
designer that has a clue.

The problem is solved not by altering the technology but by hiring
people who know how to deign for the medium they are working in.

> It won't help with the 2.8+ gamma, alas.

Note that CSS1 does at least solve that one, although 2.8 is a lot
higher than I would estimate - measurements seem to show 2.2 to 2.3

> way to say "10 cpi." At any rate you have an inflationary reckoning
> of the value of a point, and are likely to specify really small point
> sizes in your style sheets, just like Microsoft does.

He shoots, he scores. Yep!