Re: CSS and presentational markup

On  5 Jun 97 at 18:50, Todd Fahrner wrote:

> In documents with both CSS and presentational markup (e.g., <font>
> and <center> "elements", <B>, <I>, and align and color attributes ) I
> have noticed that sometimes CSS can override the usual rendering of
> the markup, and other times it can't.
[snip]
> I think CSS should always be able to override all presentational
> markup and attributes

I guess you, Hakon, and Bert think similarly:

----
The UA may choose to honor other stylistic HTML attributes, for
example 'ALIGN'. If so, these attributes are translated to the
corresponding CSS rules with specificity equal to 1. The rules are
assumed to be at the start of the author style sheet and may be
overridden by subsequent style sheet rules. In a transition phase,
this policy will make it easier for stylistic attributes to coexist
with style sheets.
----http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#cascading-order----

> I note with a little alarm that Netscape's set to be released next
> Wednesday. <opinion>Either they're coding with superhuman speed,
> cleverness, and judgment, or the CSS implementation won't really be
> ready.</opinion> Anyway, my fingers are crossed. And do you think
> they'll have a personal style sheet UI?

It is a bit alarming that a release is coming so soon, but I suppose
it'll be like the additions to Netscape 2.0.  Most of them didn't get
fixed until Netscape 3.0, which would probably have better been
called 2.1.

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I can't imagine Netscape offering a
personal style sheet option.  Netscape has always been near the
bottom of the list when it comes to configurability.  If MSIE4 adds
this option and Netscape 4.0 does not, it'll be interesting to see
how much value users give to personal style sheets in the browser
wars.

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============