Re: list-item alignment in CSS

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:50:15 -0700
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>, "Hakon Lie" <howcome@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
At 19:24 -0700 6.4.97, David Perrell wrote:
> Hakon Lie wrote:
> > ... With the keyword value 'outside', the marker will be put
> > outside the box and the box will be formatted and positioned as any
> > other box.
>
> BODY     { margin-left: 0 }
> UL       { margin-left: 0 }
> UL LI    { margin-left: 0 }

> <BODY>
> <UL>
> <LI>Those bullets are out there...<LI>
> <LI>But who knows where?</LI>
> <LI>Somehow this doesn't seem right to me.</LI>
> </UL>

> Those bullets are out there...
>
> But who knows where?
>
> Somehow this doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, it's odd. I've suggested that the markers should take as much
space as they need, intruding either partially into the list item
content block, or completely a la "inside" style.

XVII. This is item
   number seventeen.

XVIII. This is item
   number eighteen.

* Those bullets are
out there...

* But who knows where?

* Somehow this doesn't
seem right to me.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923