Re: list-item alignment in CSS

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:49:09 -0700
To: "Hakon Lie" <howcome@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Hakon Lie wrote:
> David Perrell writes:
>
>  > IMO, the simplest way to give author control of list content
indent is
>  > to add units to list-position values. "Outside" means "browser, do
your
>  > thing!", "inside" means 0, and units mean "block-indent the
content by
>  > this much."
>
> This is an interesting proposal. You'd also probably want to say if
> the marker should be right-, left- or center-aligned w.r.t. the
> position.

You mean as NSN's numbers are right-aligned and MSIE's are
left-aligned? I don't see where list-marker alignment fits cleanly in
current properties. I thought that effect could be better specified in
'roll-your-own' lists using block-indent and floated :before
pseudo-elements with some as-yet-undefined counter.

David Perrell