Re: list-item alignment in CSS

At 11:05 AM -0700 6/3/1997, David Perrell wrote:

> I think you've fallen into a serious shortcoming of the list-item
> display type. The list-style-position property only accepts the keyword
> values "outside" and "inside". Why not length and percentage (of
> element width)? This addition would give you what you want.
>
> But I'd still think "list-item" an unnecessary
> HTML-compatibility-kludge.

The recommendation's ascii-diagrams suggest, however, that lists are
formatted by a combination of margin, padding, and border values on list
container and item elements. It looks like I should be able to do what I'm
after without the extensions you discuss, though perhaps without fine
control of the position of the list-item marker.

> There has been discussion here about adding :before and :after
> pseudo-elements to CSS. IMO, we also need a 'block-indent' text
> property.

I'm all for before/after rules, but again it seems to me that between
margin, border, and padding, block indents should be well-provisioned. If I
am correct, it's clear that the 4.0 betas don't implement proper support
for these yet. Your extensions seem straightforwardly useful, but unless
they're essential to doing anything reasonable with lists, I'd prefer to
beat my drum first for a full implementation of the existing spec.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/