Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:03:19 -0700
To: Josh Paluch <joshp@cnet.com>, www-style@w3.org
At 2:33 PM -0700 7/31/97, Josh Paluch wrote:
>I notice that in IE4 stylesheets don't trump <font> and <basefont>... is
>this by design?  (at least on windows)
>Of coarse, Netscape4 does just the oppisite (ie, if the same element is
>defined by both CSS and <font>, then CSS wins, even if <font> is closer
>to the element), which actually makes more sense to me.  I mean, if CSS
>would trump <font> then I could include both on a page knowing that if
>the user had a CSS browser they will get what I want them to get, but I
>can still use <font> for a little while to ensure that my design isn't
>does anyone have any suggestions how to get around the fact that IE4
>does this?

This has been discussed. I think the conclusion was that this is clearly
nonstandard in IE, and that it really should be fixed before release.

Is that right?

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923