Re: !important ( was Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings)

At 9:44 PM -0400 7/30/97, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
>I'm quite likely to arrange for !important declarations in reader style
>sheets in GNU E-scpae to take precedence over !important declarations
>in author style sheets.  I haven't yet decided whether this will be handled
>by ignoring the !important attribute on author style sheets, or by
>swapping the prioirties of user vs author style sheets for !important,
>or making it user-configurable, or what.
>
>So, I'd be interested in hearing any arguements on which particular
>technique is best.

I can't see any benefit to inverting the order. I'd just ignore authorial
!important. I'm still waiting for a single plausible example of where
overriding a user's (well-considered) !important would be anything but
silly.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923