Re: beef with CSS-specified image URLs

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:05:27 -0700
To: "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net>, www-style@w3.org
At 7:06 PM -0700 7/27/97, E. Stephen Mack wrote:
>Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com> yacked:
>> The specification is
>> unclear.
>The specification contains this statement in Section 6.4 URL [1]:
[snip] [1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#url

DOH! I stand corrected. Sloppiness.

>If NS4 is doing otherwise, then it's clearly in violation of the spec.

It is clearly out of spec. I'll submit a bug report, as they seem not to
monitor this forum. I will be happy to learn otherwise.

>Do you have a sample document up?

Nothing ready to show, but it's an easy demo:

body	{
	background-image: url(./foo.gif);

If foo.gif and the HTML file are not in the same directory, this fails in
NS4.01, MacOS, regardless of the relative location of the CSS file.

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923