Re: beef with CSS-specified image URLs

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 20:05:27 -0700
To: "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net>, www-style@w3.org
At 7:06 PM -0700 7/27/97, E. Stephen Mack wrote:
>Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com> yacked:
>> The specification is
>> unclear.
>
>The specification contains this statement in Section 6.4 URL [1]:
[snip] [1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#url

DOH! I stand corrected. Sloppiness.

>If NS4 is doing otherwise, then it's clearly in violation of the spec.

It is clearly out of spec. I'll submit a bug report, as they seem not to
monitor this forum. I will be happy to learn otherwise.

>Do you have a sample document up?

Nothing ready to show, but it's an easy demo:

body	{
	background-image: url(./foo.gif);
	}

If foo.gif and the HTML file are not in the same directory, this fails in
NS4.01, MacOS, regardless of the relative location of the CSS file.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923