Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So it does. Apparently I've never declared BODY without declaring
> heads, as I thought I had.

Which version of IE are both of you using?  When I put that
declaration in IE 4.0 platform preview 2 (no shell integration)
on a Windows 95 system, the Headings are still rendered in their
customary size for me.

Navigator 4.01 ignores this declaration because I think it's mal-
formed -- font should consist of
[ <font-style> || <font-variant> || <font-weight> ]? <font-size>
[ / <line-height> ]? <font-family>

So, when I put:
   BODY { font: normal normal normal 12pt/13pt sans-serif; }
then Navigator renders the entire document in a 12 point
san serif face.  Headings are not bolded, emphasized sections
are not emphasized.

IE 4.0pp2, on the other hand, keeps headings large and bold
and emphasized text in italics.  The entire document does
take on sans-serif though, so I can see that this font
property is inheriting its way down.

Maybe it's time for screen shots.

This is a BIG difference in interpretation.  Initially I
sided with Liam, that Netscape had it right.  After rereading
the now-frequently-quoted first rule of inheritence, I have
to agree that a UA's default values for each element should
be treated as a declaration, and should therefore override
the inherited value.  (Official verification?  Håkon?)

At this point, I think it becomes ESSENTIAL for the UA to
release their default style sheet.  That will make working
with style sheets much simpler.

> But yet, the headings are still in bold. Strange inconsistency
> there, no?

Not necessarily, because font-style (normal | italic | oblique)
comes before font-weight ( normal | bold | [etc.]) in the
font syntax.  Go back to your test document and put in
an ADDRESS element and an EM element, then see what your
version of IE does.

I'm going to be shocked if Eva's and David's copy of IE pp 2
is behaving differently from mine.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1#font
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/